Jaguar Android Upgrade
This is a 'HOWTO' guide to add Android functionality to the Jaguar touchscreen head unit used in the XJ X350/X358, X-Type and S-Type - called JagDroid. You can read the background behind it on this thread on the UK Jaguar Forum or just skip that and get down to it!
NOTE: This guide is now fairly old, and although it will function there is a new version 2.0 in the works! Watch this space for updates.
What actully is it?
- The JagDroid project is a modification and upgrade to the Jaguar touchscreen so that pressing NAV gives you access to an Android system capable of running any Apps such as TomTom Navigation and Spotify, YouTube etc etc. There are no additional buttons that need to be installed in the dash, so it looks completely factory and seamless. All original Jaguar functions are retained.
- The outdated Jaguar factory Nav (which stopped being updated in 2012) is replaced with any Android navigation app of your preference, such as TomTom, Waze, Google Maps etc, and with a wifi/3G data connection will give you completely up to date maps and live traffic etc. Press the NAV button to switch to the Android system, then press NAV again to switch to your preferred Navigation app!
What will it look like?
Here are some screenshots showing the Launcher (Car Launcher Pro), music application (Spotify), and GPS Navigation (TomTom):
Car Launcher Pro
TomTom GPS Navigation
What else can it do?
- You can also stream audio from your phone via Bluetooth to play music through the Jaguar sound system - the audio is injected directly into the Jaguar CD Player for the best possible sound quality.
- When playing from any Android music app, you can control track skipping previous/next from your steering wheel controls.
- Reversing camera with auto switching on reverse with the addition of a relay
- DAB+ radio with the addition of a USB DAB module and antenna splitter
What can't it do?
- It doesn't support hands-free phone calls - bluetooth can only be used for audio streaming. The standard Jaguar bluetooth phone module still needs to be installed to use hands-free calling.
- Note that if your car doesn't already have the touchscreen fitted, then you'll need to do some additional work to retro-fit one first - it's not a direct replacement for the basic controls.
JagDroid is based on an Odroid C2 single board computer (see here: www.odroid.co.uk) running Android 6.0.1, with Bluetooth, Wifi, 16Gb eMMC storage (larger eMMC cards are available).
Watch the video:
Please be sure to also read the following operation/installation instructions:
NEW - the following guides are for use with a JagDroid system that I have supplied, which is more up to date than the conversion instructions documented on this site due to some upgrades:
If you find my website useful in building your own JagDroid system and would like to send me a small donation, then anything is gratefully received! Please use the following link to donate using PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/JagDroid